Monday, April 5, 2010

Mission Accomplished



While I was at Mom and Dad's I had a couple projects that I intended to do. This little dress for Milly is one of them. I used a really old pattern that my Grandmother had used to sew some dresses for her grandchildren. It had her writing on the envelope. It was a lot harder than I imagined and I am glad I was there for Mom to give advice and assistance. We had to hand baste the sleeves and the bodice in place to avoid puckering. Mom used her nifty embroidery machine to make the cherries. These are to match a little sweater that Janet Roberts got for Milly. It will be a very coordinated ensemble. I had fun making it and cannot wait to see herself in it. Now to make a matching shirt and pants for Levi (without the cherries).






The next project was to get the pantry put together. The house was built in 1952 and had a nice sized pantry, but very inadequate shelving. They were only about one can deep. So for Christmas 1 1/2 years ago Rebecca and I gave her the gift of new shelving. Mom has been waiting all this time for them. So we cleaned out the pantry, removed old shelving, patched holes, painted, plugged cracks with steel wool to keep out mice, and added these sturdy new shlelves. I installed the little wire racks in back all by myself with power tools (drill). Then we reloaded all the stuff into the pantry and labeled the shelves. Hopefully she will be able to find stuff, and use it before the stuff expires. I also reorganized her spice cabinet, cleaned out a utensil drawer and we put another shelf together to store her cleaning supplies. All in all it was very fulfilling. She seemed to like it and that was the whole point! I love you Mom!






No comments:

Post a Comment