Monday, April 9, 2012

What Have We All Been Doing?

Well, I haven't posted anything in about 2 1/2 months and needless to say we have been a little busy around here. Stuart came home on February 9th, from his mission in Switzerland. We had a houseful of company for the blessed event and many celebrations for him. He gave an awesome talk after coming home about his experiences there and his testimony has really grown.
In February we also had the Blue and Gold Banquet for Scouting. Nolan was a Cub Scout at that time and was very excited for that. The banquet got a little postponed by a bad snowstorm, so Stuart got to be here for it and he received his Webelo and his Arrow of Light awards. We are proud of him. Now there are five arrows on each of our boys photos in the family room.
In March we had the Pinewood Derby. This was Nolan's last race and also Jan's last derby car to help his son build. That makes 16 Pinewood Derby cars that Jan has built over the years, not counting his own. I don't even know if they did that back when he was a Cub Scout. I'll have to ask him. Anyway, Jan was ecstatic about not having to make any more of them, but he gave it his all and built another winner with his son. Nolan won first place with the directions that our old friend, George Hampton, told us about many years ago. They built another modified wedge shaped vehicle and packed the weights in the back and off it went, speeding to Cub Scout Glory.
At the end of March we had Spring Break but my dad's cousin, Sam Little passed away about a week before and my mother went to Montana to clear our his belongings and tend to his final affairs, as he had no closer relatives than three cousins who are all in their 80's. Stuart and Jan went with her and it took them a good solid eight days to get it done. There was some furniture and other things that we wanted to bring back, and it wouldn't fit in the car, so I and Nolan drove up on a Saturday and loaded it up and then we all drove home the next day, Sunday. We were quite tired when we got in, so took a day to rest (except poor Jan, who had to go to work that morning) and then on Tuesday we drove to Texas and unloaded the things we brought back from Montana. We had some family heirlooms that will be dispersed to the appropriate relatives and I was able to receive a new (very old) dining room table. It has eight 10" leaves and will be 125 inches long when all are in. It will make a great family dinner table. There was also a nice chest of drawers. Both of these will need some refinishing work and I hope to post photos of that as it gets done.
In the middle of all of these events, we have been doing the daily stuff, like family dinners on Sunday, working, watching the grandkids, going to school, looking for jobs (Stuart) and enjoying the beautiful spring that we have been having.
Owen enjoyed a short trip to New Orleans with some of his Army friends this last weekend. Here are some of the pictures of the fun that he had while there.
School will be out soon, We had Nolan's birthday this last Thursday, He is a ripe old 11 years now. He had his bridging ceremony to cross over into Boy Scouts and will attend his 1st meeting on Wednesday.
Our lives are just like a river and keep rolling along. Easter was upon us, and we enjoyed a very nice family day, worshiping our Savior and being together.

No comments:

Post a Comment